Clarkson Village is a community in the city of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. The community is located in the southwest corner of Mississauga, along the banks of Lake Ontario. It is bordered by Lake Ontario to the south, Oakville to the west, Erindale and Erin Mills to the north, and Lorne Parkto the east.
In 1808, fifteen year old Warren Clarkson and his brother Joshua left their home in Albany, New York to seek their fortune in Canada. They had been invited to come work for a friend of the family who had bought land near Lake Ontario. Warren liked the area very much and decided to stay. He worked hard so that someday he would be able to own property. When he was twenty-six he had saved enough money to buy land and build a home. Warren married and began to raise a family. As the years went by Warren bought more land. He built the community's first store along the stagecoach trail. Fifteen years later the town council named this trail Clarkson Road.
Sites of Interest
Clarkson is home to both of the City of Mississauga's historic museums: Bradley Museum and Benares House.
The Bradley Museum provides a window into the everyday life of early settlers in Ontario, and hosts Sunday teas, rotating exhibits, and special events. The museum grounds include the original farmhouse built in 1830 by Lewis and Elizabeth Bradley, a United Loyalist couple who lived in the house with their seven children. The Anchorage, a Regency-style cottage built in 1837, was moved from its original location on the shores of Lake Ontario to the Bradley grounds in 1978. The Anchorage was the retirement home of Royal Navy Officer John Skynner (1762-1846), and remained derelict after being moved to the museum grounds until sufficient funds for its rehabilitation were raised in 1991.
In addition to discovering these historic sites, visitors may also explore Rattray Marsh. This ecologically sensitive wetland is the last remaining lakefront marsh between Burlington, Ontario and Toronto, and provides superb opportunities for bird watching while strolling along boardwalks and well-maintained trails. Amazingly abundant displays of white trilliums, the floral emblem and provincial flower of Ontario, may be seen in late April and early May.
Although the community and the surrounding area consists mostly of a mix of upper and middle class homes, some of the last major industrial sites in Mississauga outline the community, including:
- a Petro-Canada Oil Refinery, which produces lubricants
- a St. Lawrence Cement Terminal, which distributes cement via truck throughout Toronto.
- Clarkson Secondary School, grades 9 through 12.
- CFRB 1010 AM Radio Transmitter, with 4 identical guyed masts which stand approximately 550-600 ft tall, making them the tallest structures in Mississauga, and used for navigation by small aircraft and watercraft. Located at the intersection of Southdown Rd. & Lakeshore Rd.
- 1050 CHUM AM Radio Transmitter, a smaller transmission facility, located along the waterfront, located adjacent to St. Lawrence Cement factory
- Orion Bus Industries, a major manufacturer of buses for public transportation.
- Electrovaya, a manufacturer of portable computers and batteries.
- an assortment of small farms.
Schools in Clarkson:
|Ashgrove||Clarkson||Iona Catholic Secondary|
|Clarkson||St Christopher Separate|
|Elmcrest||St Francis of Assisi|
|Garthwood Park||St Helen Separte|
|Greenglade Sr||St Louis Separate|
|Hillside Sr||St Luke Elementary|
Daycares in Clarkson: