Port Credit

Port Credit the Village by the Lake

Enjoy the restaurants, entertainment and fantastic fishing or just go for a walk, in Port Credit.
Lighthouse Ed horbaczyk Port Credit Pump House Ed Horbaczyk Port Credit Port Credit Wildlife Ed Horbaczyk   Ed horbaczyk fishing in Port Credit Harbour

Port Credit (pop. 10,260 - 2001 Census) is found at the mouth of the Credit River on the north shore of Lake Ontario, within the southcentral area of the city of Mississauga. Port Credit's former town boundaries are the Canadian National Railway tracks (where the Lakeshore West GO trains run) to the north, Seneca Avenue and the western edge of the Adamson Estate (Royal Conservatory School, Misissauga site) to the east and Godfrey's Lane and the townhome complex located on the west side of Shawnmarr Road to the west.

History-The name "Port Credit" came from its roots as a trading post where goods were traded or bought on credit. The earliest reference is on a map drawn in 1757 by La Broquerie at Fort Frontenac, a fort built by the French at the mouth of the Cataraqui River, the site of the city of Kingston.The story of Port Credit is told in the book, "Port Credit, A Glimpse of Other Days" by Verna Mae Weeks, self published.

The heart of Port Credit is its harbour at the mouth of the Credit River. Once a working fishing port and a regional trading centre for grain and other agricultural products, the Port Credit Harbourhas seen many roles in the community. A lighthouse was built in 1882 to serve the sailors on Lake Ontario. It served until 1918 and remained standing until destroyed by fire in 1936.

Port Credit did not amalgamate with its neighbouring settlements in southern Peel County when the Town of Mississauga was created from the former Toronto Township in 1968. Port Credit maintained its independence until the City of Mississauga was incorporated in 1974. Today the harbour has been redeveloped into a marina on the east bank and a charter fishing centre and public boat launch facility on the west bank under the lighthouse. Formerly the home of the Port Credit Yacht Club, it is now the heart of a tourist and recreation centre. Port Credit Harbour Marina is the largest public marina in the region. The RIDGETOWN (launched June 24, 1905 as WILLIAM E. COREY, a Lake Bulk freighter) has been a signature structure of Port Credit since June 21, 1974, when she was loaded with stone and, with her cabins and stack still in place, sunk as a breakwater for the Port Credit Harbour. She remains on guard there today.

The CommunityLife in Port Credit has always focused on community. One enduring example is Port Credit Arena built by community activists. The Port Credit arena was constructed between September 10 1958 and the official opening on October 4, 1959. Built for $360,000, it is the second covered arena in the current city of Mississauga, the first public arena built, and is the oldest surviving arena in the city. The Arena has been home to countless sporting and social events, a well loved landmark and symbol of community spirit. It is the home of the Port Credit Storm hockey teams.









Port Credit


St Jerome

Cashmere Avenue




St Timothy

Queen Elizabeth Senior




Mary Fix





St Luke

Forest Avenue




St Catherine of Sienna






Daycares in Port Credit:  click here